Zero waste

The concept of ‘zero waste‘ is based on the understanding that all the materials we use are resources, and only become waste due to bad design or poor management. By redesigning products and changing the way we dispose of what we don’t need, the problem of ‘waste’ ceases to exist, because everything becomes a resource to be reused or recycled.

Residents of the small Japanese town of Kamikatsu sort their household waste into 34 different recycling boxes. They currently re-use, recycle or compost 80% of their rubbish. The remaining 20% is incinerated or goes to landfill, but they are aiming to reduce waste to zero by 2020, leading the way in adopting a more energy efficient and less polluting lifestyle. You can see more on Kamikatsu in this video:

If you feel inspired to give zero waste a try, or just to want produce a little less waste, here’s a guide to getting started:


It’s really surprising just how much you can reduce your waste if you are prepared to make an effort! For more information see:

Why I lead a zero waste life – Lauren Singer

MyZeroWaste.com

zerowasteweek 

My Minimalist Baby 

The Clean Bin Project 

The Story of Stuff

Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life


3 replies on “Zero waste”

  1. Priscilla Michon says:

    You ought to definately write much more about this! Please!

  2. Lena Aayne says:

    Just another idea,

    Charities can make great use of collected postage stamps from all over the world, common and rare, to fundraise, by selling them on to philatelists and collectors.

    Please, visit our website today to find a charity that you would like to support. The website is updated monthly, and new charities are welcome to be added to the list as well. http://usedstampsforcharity.weebly.com/

    Each charity is listed with the address to send donations to, and the date that they last confirmed their details, so that you know how up to date the listing is.

    We are a free, volunteer run directory. We make no money or profit from doing this. we are posting to help spread the word.

    To add your charity, please send us the name of the charity, a postal address for donations to be sent to, and a few words about what your charity does. Don’t forget to re-confirm with us monthly so that your charity appears near the top of the list. englishgirl2009-sunshine@yahoo.co.uk

  3. Lynda Leonard says:

    In order to achieve zero waste the people have to be more aware about in what aspect they aim it and the ways to do it. I am very concern about zero waste at home and I almost achieve a perfect results. Greetings
    http://rubbishclearancebarnet.com/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.